Knowledge (Level 3)
Our emphasis is on theoretical learning of all aspects of beekeeping. During the course, you will learn about hive management and manipulation, disease identification, queen bee rearing, bee behavior, pollination, colony behavior and extracting honey. You will also have the opportunity to learn the commercial aspects of the industry such as marketing and administration.
One year from date of enrolment, part-time study
Please note: Due to funding uncertainties all correspondence courses will now finish 31/12/2017.
NZ student fees
* Be 16 years or over
* Be proficient in English (written and oral).
Note: If English is your second language, you will be required to provide evidence that you are sufficiently competent in English to take part in this programme.
New Zealand beekeeping
* 531101 Beekeeping industry, legislation and careers
* 531201 Entomology
* 531501 Beekeeping equipment
* 531701 Botany (includes a plant collection)
* 531301 Bee behaviour
* 531601 Hive management
Queen bee rearing
* 531141 Queen bee rearing
Pollination and hive management
* 531801 Pollination and hive management
* 531111 Agricultural chemicals for beekeeping
Pests and diseases
* 531901 Pests and diseases
* 531902 Varroa mite
* 531901 American foul brood
* 531121 Honey processing
Marketing in the apiculture industry
* 531151 Marketing in the apiculture industry
Alternative hive products
* 531131 Alternative hive products
* 531161 Business administration
Health and safety
* 531401 Health and safety